Saturday, October 16, 2010

Just Plain Nutty

The Question
See, I know I'm stressed out. But I can't help but ask myself at times: for what? 
Compared to my parents and my sister, I have no right to be stressed out. My parents are working like slaves for my sister and I, especially dad. My sister was through far worse in her first year: not only were her courses harder, she could not live in residence and her only choice was to commute 3 hours a day. 
In comparison, I cannot help but feel that I have no right to feel stressed. I am lucky. 
And yet, I cannot seem to give back to my parents what they had given me. Although neither of them blamed me for a bad mark on my midterm, for they knew I had tried hard, even a little too hard, I blamed myself. Why can't I give back what I had been given? 
Being the over thinker that I am, I immediately took apart the problem with questions: Am I weak? Am I just overreacting? Is it because of my somewhat sheltered personality? 
I chose the last as my theory.
Urban Dictionary definition of "sheltered": A person who leads this kind of life is one who doesn't get out enough, is still pathetically mind-controlled by their parents and is scared shitless of them. Anything fun is presumed to be evil. Common condition in children of very religious families.
I hope that's not me...? On top of that, it doesn't relate at all to the reason I'm reacting to University with stress. A "sheltered" person, in my point of view, is stressed in their environment because they had not been in contact with anything harsher. There are many things far harsher than University life, but I have (some, thankfully) yet to meet them. 
"Sheltered" people can be spaced in one of two categories: Closed or Open. Closed is more of the Urban Dictionary version, but due to an increasingly open-minded society, I would think they are becoming rare. Being a close-minded shelter would run the risk of insanity nowadays. Therefore, I think I would prefer open, which also makes me very curious of what others have to say about their lives. 
So I decided to post this question on to Yahoo Answers: "What was the saddest/hardest thing that ever happened to you and how did you deal with it?" 
I received some interesting posts, including a grandmother worried for her grandsons due to the influence of a drug addicted mother, a (hopefully) sarcastic user who stepped on a skittle and never forgot the incident after 20 years, and a man who had to give up the "love of his life" - twice. 
The stories out there are endless. I want to know at least a fraction of them. 
I want to know why the homeless ended homeless on the downtown Eastside. 
I want to know how the murderer came to be.
I want to know why the man in the black suit and tie had stopped believing. 
And I want to know why the squirrels at school husk at the peanuts that I am calling peanuts when they are actually acorns. 
What a world out there. So many stories. So many people. 
So much to believe in. 

How exactly did I get from University stress to "sheltered" to the world of diversity that we should appreciate?
Meh. 

2 comments:

  1. I don’t think the stress you have, Peanut Blogger, is unreasonable. Although University is very pressuring, you spent the time to think about other people’s hardships. That is very rare nowadays; many people focus too much on their own troubles and forget how they can be affecting everyone else.

    “Only those who have learned the power of sincere and selfless contribution experience life's deepest joy: true fulfillment.”-Tony Robbins

    I think the fact that you sincerely care about them and your schoolwork is better than enough. There will be more chances in life, and I’m sure that we’ve all overcome many “failures” in life. We all learn from it and in the future we can do better.

    "When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one that has opened for us." - Alexander Graham Bell

    Remember to take time to relax and enjoy everything around you. :] Studying is good, but doing it excessively can be very stressful!

    I just want to give a quick thanks to you, because of your blog I have randomly come across, it has shown me to not dwell so much on the past and let little matters affect me so much. You’re an inspiration, I hope you continue blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Elithyia,
    Thank You SO much for your comment. I'm happy you have been inspired and I feel very happy that I have done a good deed after all.
    I feel much better and much more ready to start the day... you're an inspiration yourself and don't you forget it!

    ReplyDelete